Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Broccoli Costume


So...... just what do you do when your grandson asks you to make him a "Broccoli Costume"? Well, you put your thinking cap on and get to work. I believe I bought 15 yards of green tulle and sat and made hundreds of individual poufs by hand. I remember him coming home from school one day and I had many of these poufs in a brown grocery bag. I asked "What do you think?" His answer- "Looks like brussel sprouts to me"! I told him it would be OK in time. After a few fittings we had a broccoli costume. The white store receipt embroidered on a piece of stabilizer to prevent tearing, reads Mr Millers Market complete with the price for broccoli.

This costume was made for Halloween 2009.

I asked him "why broccoli?" He explained that everyone in the school has been told by Mr Miller, the music teacher, how he hates broccoli. His teacher says his mother made him eat it too often as a child and he hated it. My grandson thought it would be funny to go as broccoli. The second photo shows my grandson and his teacher. Mr Miller has this photo as his screen saver and he tells my grandson it will remain on his computer forever. My grandson continues to take guitar lessons from one of his favorite teachers.

My grandson also wore the headpiece when he ran his "Mean Green Broccoli Machine" car, complete with broccoli on the top, in the Cub Scout Pinewood Derby race. He certainly did not win for speed but he did win first prize for "originality".

2 comments:

  1. This costume is amazing! My girls wanted to be candy this year for Halloween, but my older daughter requested that Daddy be broccoli "because you have to eat healthy stuff too." Any chance I can get basic instructions for making the hat? I sew, but I just can't figure out how to start! And how you made those poufs! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Cora I did not see your comment until just now. I cut squares of layered (3-4) tulle about 4"x4" and basted around the edge and then drew them together to make individual poufs. I attached these to stuffed pillow shapes which were then stitched to a helmet type headpiece. I did not have a pattern. It was kind of developed as I went from one step to another.

    ReplyDelete