Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Homestead

                                         The Homestead
 
There are three friends with whom I take turns making Christmas gifts. Each four year turn seems to come around faster each time. We started this craziness in 1987 when I made a wooden "Christmas Tree Napkin Holder". You can see my last gift in the July section of this blog (Garment Bags) http://cottonkapers.blogspot.com/2011_07_01_archive.html. We have had discussions as to how long we were going to continue this tradition. We decided we could bow out of our next turn only after the other three had opened your most recent gift. This year I announced this was going to be my last turn. We raised our families and have had many wonderful times in the "hood" and I felt I would leave the exchange with my interpretation of a somewhat primitive rendition of their "Homestead".


When I got the idea for my gift I went out in the car with my camera in hand and took photos of each home. I needed to take repeat photos when I was uncertain about a particular feature. I downloaded my photos to my Kodak software which has a "Coloring Book" feature. This made it easy to get a workable line drawing. I printed that drawing and took it to have it enlarged to the size needed. From that point it  soon became learn as you go.

The sizes of the pieces vary but measure approximately 16 1/2 by 24. The actual sizes are noted with each home.

Fabrics used are 100% cotton, buckram, Heat and Bond and chiffon
.


Techniques used are fused applique, free motion quilting, outline sewing, machine embroidery and hand sewing.



Ah ha....now the fun begins....
All pinned to the wall....need to get started.....
Have thread.....will sew.....and I will soon  find out I will need even more thread as I get into this project.....
Starting stonework
Stone color choices.....
Getting there....
Stonework finished.....


This house needs some landscaping.....
I am going to make some Hosta plants.......

Now that looks better....
This house needs some landscaping ......


I will have to use chiffon on this Birch tree so the house is still visible......


That looks better...border on....binding on ...now I need to hand stitch the backside of the binding and add the label...OH NO!!!...I forgot something...back to the cutting board...to be continued...




Lots of fabric pulled out...
Adding some quilting....
Getting there....
Can you see which part of the fabrics created the pot of flowers ?
Porch swing designing...I thought the house was finished...I had forgotten the porch swing...now that was fun crocheting a single strand of thread.... the house is now complete.


Designing the Label on the computer.....but when I stitch it out you will notice I switched some words around...I like that better.
Stitching the label out with the change in wording...
Carols House with original picture


Carols House 22 1/2" x 14 1/2"

Diane's House 24 3/4' x 16"
Diane's House with original picture.
Dot's House 24" x 16 1/2"

Dot's House with original picture.



The Label


I just had to use this gift tag...it made me giggle just knowing what was in the package.


Here we are at the end of a wonderful day.....



Fini............

No comments:

Post a Comment