Thursday, February 9, 2012

Glad Tidings




 The following pictures are blocks of a quilt in progress. I am altering the pattern as published. It was seen in McCalls Quilting - August ,September and October issues of 2005. 

All applique is needle turned. The kit was given to me by an ill friend. She saw two applique blocks before she passed away.

The blocks are pieced and then hand appliqued. There will be four of these 16 inch blocks in this quilt with an additional appliqued block in the center and other pieced blocks, sashing and border that will complete the quilt.

I use 100 weight silk thread for my applique. You can see how fine the thread is on the photos of the back of the blocks. I use it because it seems to disappear into the edge of the applique

I have used different fabrics in the circle applique of the block centers. I am not sure if I will use one of these or try another one. Which one do you prefer?


First Block

Second Block



Block back

Close up of section of block back

This quilt is finally finished and ready to share with my friends.  The following three photos show the wonderful machine quilting done by Ruth Stonesifer. I have not used a flash so that you may enjoy the detail of her work.


Along the side of the quilt



Center Block


Corner Block


  One of the corners

Voila... all finished .. 
The label on the back
 A label will tell generations to come the story of this quilt: Who, What, When, Where and Why. It will help identify the quilt should it become lost or stolen, and will increase the value of the quilt at appraisal time.


1 comment:

  1. I like them both!! Can you use them both or maybe do a different one for each block? (A different one in each center would really remind me of Christmas ornaments and holiday decorations!)

    ReplyDelete