Thursday, June 6, 2013

Cockscombs,Tulips and Berries



                  This quilt is one of my favorites. Most of my quilts are given as gifts, but this one is mine. I found the pattern in a book I had purchased and I just had to make it. I showed my friends at our Wednesday quilting group and one of them mentioned that she had the blue fabric shown on the original quilt. We made a deal. She would give me a piece the fabric and I would give her the pattern. One of my other quilting friends also admired the quilt. She called me one day and told me she had found some rust and green fabrics that just might work. I gave her the go ahead to purchase me those fabrics sight unseen. I knew I would love them because we have very similar tastes. The background fabric is a tone on tone print of pomegranates. I loved this piece of fabric and knew it was best used in large pieces. I also had fun collecting blue fabrics that would work with the focus fabric.

               Techniques used are needle turned applique, reverse applique, machine piecing and machine quilting. The beautiful free form quilting on the background was done by Ruth Stonesifer. I did the quilting within the applique pieces.

              The quilt measures 62x72 inches.




Block prior to assembling the quilt



Cockscombs,Tulips and Berries

I like the way the flash bounces off the center of the quilt.



No comments:

Post a Comment