Friday, May 20, 2011

The Antique "Hexagon" Quilt


I will take a new photograph of this quilt soon. I had it appraised in 1998 and it was dated as made around 1930. That would make it 81 years old at this writing. It measures 75x90 inches and is made of hand pieced cotton 2 1/2 inch hexagons. There are 12 completed rows from the center flower. The hexagons are appliqued onto an Apple green colored 8 1/2-9 inch border with a double roping quilting pattern. The appraiser noted that it was in excellent condition, well pieced with a nice even stitch, excellent visual impact and with no restoration needed.

When I acquired this quilt after my mother died in 1990, I  was already nine years into quilting. I think I would look at this quilt prior to her death and say "I want to make one someday". So, I eventually took the leap and the following pages will tell my story of this fulfilling hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment